Objective To evaluate the role of cyanoacrylate glue in reducing dislodgement of umbilical venous catheters (UVCs).Study design This was a single-center, randomized, controlled, nonblinded trial. All infants requiring an UVC according to our local policy were included in the study. Infants with a UVC with a centrally located tip as verified by real-time ultrasound examination were eligible for the study. Primary outcome was the safety and efficacy of securement by cyanoacrylate glue plus cord-anchored suture (SG group) vs securement by suture alone (S group), as measured by reduction in dislodgment of the external tract of the catheter. Secondary outcomes were tip migration, catheter-related bloodstream infection, and catheter-related thrombosis.Results In the first 48 hours after UVC insertion, dislodgement was significantly higher in the S group than in the SG group (23.1% vs 1.5%; P < .001). The overall dislodgement rate was 24.6% in the S group vs 7.7% in the SG group (P = .016). No differences were found in catheter-related bloodstream infection and catheter-related thrombosis. The incidence of tip migration was similar in both groups (S group 12.2% vs SG group 11.7%).Conclusions In our single-center study, cyanoacrylate glue was safe and effective for securement of UVCs, and particularly effective in decreasing early catheter dislodgments.

D'Andrea, V., Prontera, G., Pinna, G., Cota, F., Fattore, S., Costa, S., Migliorato, M., Barone, G., Pittiruti, M., Vento, G., Securement of Umbilical Venous Catheter Using Cyanoacrylate Glue: A Randomized Controlled Trial, <<THE JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS>>, 2023; (260): N/A-N/A. [doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113517] [https://hdl.handle.net/10807/261176]

Securement of Umbilical Venous Catheter Using Cyanoacrylate Glue: A Randomized Controlled Trial

D'Andrea, Vito
;
Prontera, Giorgia;Cota, Francesco;Fattore, Simona;Costa, Simonetta;Barone, Giovanni;Pittiruti, Mauro;Vento, Giovanni
2023

Abstract

Objective To evaluate the role of cyanoacrylate glue in reducing dislodgement of umbilical venous catheters (UVCs).Study design This was a single-center, randomized, controlled, nonblinded trial. All infants requiring an UVC according to our local policy were included in the study. Infants with a UVC with a centrally located tip as verified by real-time ultrasound examination were eligible for the study. Primary outcome was the safety and efficacy of securement by cyanoacrylate glue plus cord-anchored suture (SG group) vs securement by suture alone (S group), as measured by reduction in dislodgment of the external tract of the catheter. Secondary outcomes were tip migration, catheter-related bloodstream infection, and catheter-related thrombosis.Results In the first 48 hours after UVC insertion, dislodgement was significantly higher in the S group than in the SG group (23.1% vs 1.5%; P < .001). The overall dislodgement rate was 24.6% in the S group vs 7.7% in the SG group (P = .016). No differences were found in catheter-related bloodstream infection and catheter-related thrombosis. The incidence of tip migration was similar in both groups (S group 12.2% vs SG group 11.7%).Conclusions In our single-center study, cyanoacrylate glue was safe and effective for securement of UVCs, and particularly effective in decreasing early catheter dislodgments.
2023
Inglese
D'Andrea, V., Prontera, G., Pinna, G., Cota, F., Fattore, S., Costa, S., Migliorato, M., Barone, G., Pittiruti, M., Vento, G., Securement of Umbilical Venous Catheter Using Cyanoacrylate Glue: A Randomized Controlled Trial, <<THE JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS>>, 2023; (260): N/A-N/A. [doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2023.113517] [https://hdl.handle.net/10807/261176]
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/10807/261176
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 0
  • Scopus 2
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 0
social impact