AIM To report the clinical and radiographic results of titanium elastic nail (TEN) in diaphyseal femoral fractures of children below age of six years. METHODS A retrospective analysis of 27 diaphyseal femoral fractures in children younger than six years treated with TEN between 2005 and 2015 was conducted. Patients were immobilized in a cast for 5 wk and the nails were removed from 6 to 12 wk after surgery. Twenty-four cases were clinically and radiographically re-evaluated using the Flynn's scoring criteria, focusing on: Limb length discrepancy, rotational deformity, angulation, hip and knee range of motion (ROM), functional status, complications, and parent's satisfaction. RESULTS Sixteen males and eight females with a mean age of 3.2 years at the time of treatment were re-evaluated at an average follow-up of 58.9 mo. No cases of delayed union were observed. The mean limb lengthening was 0.3 cm. Four cases experienced limb lengthening greater than 1 cm and always minor than 2 cm. Twelve point five percent of the cases showed an angulation < 10°. Complete functional recovery (hip and knee ROM, ability to run and jump on the operated limb) occurred in 95.7% of cases. Complications included two cases of superficial infection of the TEN entry point, one case of refracture following a new trauma, and one TEN mobilization. According to the Flynn's scoring criteria, excellent results were obtained in 79.2% of patients and satisfactory results in the remaining 20.8%, with an average parent's satisfaction level of 9.1/10. CONCLUSION TEN is as a safe, mini-invasive and surgeon-friendly technique and, considering specific inclusion criteria, it represents a useful and efficacy option for the treatment of diaphyseal femoral fractures even in patients younger than six years of age.

Donati, F., Mazzitelli, G., Lillo, M., Menghi, A., Conti, C., Valassina, A., Marzetti, E., Maccauro, G., Titanium elastic nailing in diaphyseal femoral fractures of children below six years of age, <<WORLD JOURNAL OF ORTHOPEDICS>>, 2017; 8 (2): 156-162. [doi:10.5312/wjo.v8.i2.156] [https://hdl.handle.net/10807/220513]

Titanium elastic nailing in diaphyseal femoral fractures of children below six years of age

Menghi, Amerigo;Conti, Carla;Valassina, Antonio;Marzetti, Emanuele;Maccauro, Giulio
2017

Abstract

AIM To report the clinical and radiographic results of titanium elastic nail (TEN) in diaphyseal femoral fractures of children below age of six years. METHODS A retrospective analysis of 27 diaphyseal femoral fractures in children younger than six years treated with TEN between 2005 and 2015 was conducted. Patients were immobilized in a cast for 5 wk and the nails were removed from 6 to 12 wk after surgery. Twenty-four cases were clinically and radiographically re-evaluated using the Flynn's scoring criteria, focusing on: Limb length discrepancy, rotational deformity, angulation, hip and knee range of motion (ROM), functional status, complications, and parent's satisfaction. RESULTS Sixteen males and eight females with a mean age of 3.2 years at the time of treatment were re-evaluated at an average follow-up of 58.9 mo. No cases of delayed union were observed. The mean limb lengthening was 0.3 cm. Four cases experienced limb lengthening greater than 1 cm and always minor than 2 cm. Twelve point five percent of the cases showed an angulation < 10°. Complete functional recovery (hip and knee ROM, ability to run and jump on the operated limb) occurred in 95.7% of cases. Complications included two cases of superficial infection of the TEN entry point, one case of refracture following a new trauma, and one TEN mobilization. According to the Flynn's scoring criteria, excellent results were obtained in 79.2% of patients and satisfactory results in the remaining 20.8%, with an average parent's satisfaction level of 9.1/10. CONCLUSION TEN is as a safe, mini-invasive and surgeon-friendly technique and, considering specific inclusion criteria, it represents a useful and efficacy option for the treatment of diaphyseal femoral fractures even in patients younger than six years of age.
2017
Inglese
Donati, F., Mazzitelli, G., Lillo, M., Menghi, A., Conti, C., Valassina, A., Marzetti, E., Maccauro, G., Titanium elastic nailing in diaphyseal femoral fractures of children below six years of age, <<WORLD JOURNAL OF ORTHOPEDICS>>, 2017; 8 (2): 156-162. [doi:10.5312/wjo.v8.i2.156] [https://hdl.handle.net/10807/220513]
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/10807/220513
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 5
  • Scopus 8
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 8
social impact